Friday, September 17, 2004

Toy is interactive but a game has goals


According to Will Wright: Sim City is not game, but a toy. because it provides no objective: No victory condition, no goals.

"Toy is interactive but a game has goals"

I strongly agree Will Wright's Idea of "Toy", so I think "The Exquisite corpse" is toy and it's not game. If people don't care the result, such as The Exquisite Corpse and Scavenger hut game that we played in the class could be only toy because there was no goals of winning. (some people could do it just be cause it part of class) However I think every game could become toy that only has interaction. For example I use to play "Street Fighter II". Once I finish every characters ending; if there is no one to play with me than I feel like this game becomes "toy" I remember my self playing street fighter with no objective: just to kill some time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Hmmm... that's a really interesting argument, that exquisite corpse and the ZSH are more toys than games. I definitely agree with your observation about the exquisite corpse... what is the goal? How do you know if you've achieved it? That's a very subjective measure in exquisite corpse... there's no judge, and no clear criteria for what makes a "winning" exquisite corpse picture. Really good point. As the designer of ZSH, on the other hand,I'd have to say that I did put certain constraints and goals in place ("find more items than the other team", "in 40 minutes or less", etc.) to make it truly a game, not just play... so I would defend it as a game rather than a toy! Although I agree that as far as having a really strong goal or a serious motivation, there wasn't as much of that, because it was not overly competitive and there were no clear stakes (the winning team gets an extra A averaged into their final grade, e.g.)

September 19, 2004 at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home